Langley Primary School commenced its Sustainability Journey in 2019
- Joined the ResourceSmart Schools Program administered by Resourcesmart
- Drafted a School Environmental Management Plan and several new policies including Green Purchasing and Sustainability were approved by school council.
- Reduced waste sent to landfill at school
o Removing bins in the school grounds.
o Removing the skip bins
o Increasing recycling – in addition to recycling in the classrooms, recycling of batteries, mobile phones, soft plastic, writing instruments and dental products was made available to the school community and collected at reception.
- Strongly encouraged students to bring Nude Food.
- Students completed an biodiversity audit.
- Participated in Clean Up Australia, Walk to School, and World Environment Day.
- Included sustainability initiatives in the curriculum wherever possible, including the energy audit as part of the science curriculum, the transport audit being used as a data project and making beeswax food wraps as an art project.
In 2021 we are establishing a larger vegetable garden that will support our cooking program.